What is RAW food?
Raw food is considered to be any food that is not heated above 48 degrees (Celsius – 118 degrees Fahrenheit) in the preparation process. Eating raw is a great way to ensure maximum absorption of nutrients into the body. It also cuts out the steps of heating and cooking, often saving a great deal of time.
This is one of my all time favourite raw cheesecake recipes. It reminds me of strawberry icecream and tastes like summer! Its especially fun and delicious made with the essential oils mentioned, but you could also simply use ground cinnamon or a few teaspoons of lemon juice. I dressed this one in bee pollen and rose petals, but you could be as creative as you like!
2 cups sunflower seeds
½ cup hemp seeds (or sesame)
12 medjool dates
2 tblsp coconut oil
½ tsp pink salt
2 cups fresh strawberries
½ cup honey or rice malt syrup
2 cups coconut yoghurt (or greek yoghurt if you can tolerate lactose)
½ cup strawberries, chopped
2 tblsp rose petals (or other edible flowers)
tblsp hemp seeds
1. Toast the sunflower and hemp seeds on a very low heat, lifting off regularly to cool.
2. Add seeds to food processor or blender and pulse for 20 seconds until finely chopped but not powdered.
3. Add dates, coconut oil and salt and process until the mixture forms a sticky crust.
4. Press ingredients into the base of a 20cm springform tin (lined with baking paper or greased with coconut oil) to form a smooth bottom crust layer. Place in fridge to chill while you prepare filling.
5. Puree strawberries, lemon essential oil and honey in food processor or blender, pour into a large bowl, adding the yoghurt to mix through.
6. Pour the strawberry mixture on top of the crust in the tin and freeze for 1-2 hours. If you decide to leave for longer than this, be sure to thaw for about 20 minutes prior to serving.
7. Top with berries, flowers and seeds and slice to serve!